Today is World Poetry Day!
In this digital age, where attention spans are deteriorating and students are becoming extremely restive, poetry is a blessing. It is a very powerful mode of communication that takes a language and transforms it in magical ways.
On World Poetry Day, here are a few quotes on this very mystical form of communication.
- The crown of literature is poetry. ~ W. Somerset Maugham
- Poetry is finer and more philosophical than history; for poetry expresses the universal, and history only the particular. ~ Aristotle
- Poetry is when an emotion has found its thought and the thought has found words. ~ Robert Frost
- Painting is poetry that is seen rather than felt, and poetry is painting that is felt rather than seen. ~ Leonardo da Vinci
- Poetry is a mirror which makes beautiful that which is distorted. ~ Percy Bysshe Shelley
- There is not a particle of life which does not bear poetry within it. ~ Gustave Flaubert
- Poetry is the opening and closing of a door, leaving those who look through to guess about what is seen during the moment. ~ Carl Sandburg
- Poetry is nearer to vital truth than history. ~ Plato
- Poetry is what happens when nothing else can. ~ Charles Bukowski
- Poetry: the best words in the best order. ~ Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- One merit of poetry few persons will deny: it says more and in fewer words than prose. ~ Voltaire
- When power leads man toward arrogance, poetry reminds him of his limitations. When power narrows the area of man’s concern, poetry reminds him of the richness and diversity of existence. When power corrupts, poetry cleanses. ~ John F. Kennedy
- Poetry is a deal of joy and pain and wonder, with a dash of the dictionary. ~ Khalil Gibran
- Genuine poetry can communicate before it is understood. ~ T. S. Eliot
- If I read a book and it makes my whole body so cold no fire can ever warm me, I know that is poetry. ~ Emily Dickinson
- Poetry is the spontaneous overflow of powerful feelings: it takes its origin from emotion recollected in tranquility. ~ William Wordsworth
- Poetry is all that is worth remembering in life. ~ William Hazlitt
- Poetry heals the wounds inflicted by reason. ~ Novalis
- Poetry is that art which selects and arranges the symbols of thought in such a manner as to excite the imagination the most powerfully and delightfully. ~ William Cullen Bryant
- Only the very weak-minded refuse to be influenced by literature and poetry. ~ Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
- Poetry is the one place where people can speak their original human mind. It is the outlet for people to say in public what is known in private. ~ Allen Ginsberg
- Poetry is language at its most distilled and most powerful. ~ Rita Dove
- Poetry is the deification of reality. ~ Edith Sitwell
- Poetry lies its way to the truth. ~ John Ciardi
- A good poem is a contribution to reality. The world is never the same once a good poem has been added to it. A good poem helps to change the shape of the universe, helps to extend everyone’s knowledge of himself and the world around him. ~ Dylan Thomas
- Genuine poetry can communicate before it is understood. ~ T.S. Eliot
- Poetry, she thought, wasn’t written to be analyzed; it was meant to inspire without reason, to touch without understanding. ~ Nicholas Sparks, The Notebook
Which of these quotes on poetry is your favorite? Are there any others that we have missed? Do let us know your thoughts in the comments section below.
I am an ardent fan of poetry.
I am an ardent fan of poetry. Please notify me about poetical posts.