Singapore’s Changi Airport was awarded the World’s Best Airport for the eighth consecutive year!
The 2020 World Airport Awards by Skytrax were announced recently, and Singapore’s Airport bagged the first place followed by Tokyo International Airport Haneda. The Hamad International Airport in Doha, the capital of Oman at the third place rounded up the top three airports.
Airports in Asia dominated the rankings with the Munich Airport in Germany and the Amsterdam Schiphol Airport being the only ones from out of the continent to feature on the list.
The Changi Airport connects over 200 destinations across the world and experiences over 5000 arrivals and departures per week. Apart from being crowned the best airport in the world, it was also voted the Best Airport in Asia, World’s Best Airport Leisure Amenities, and Best Airport: 60-70 million passengers in 2020.
Mr Lee Seow Hiang, Chief Executive Officer of Changi Airport Group said, “Changi Airport is humbled to receive this affirmation from our travellers, made possible by the strong support from our airport partners. This has been a challenging year for all us. Like everyone else, here at Changi, we continue to do our best to safeguard and protect the health of our travellers, our visitors and our airport workers. We wish everyone in the international aviation community well. Let’s look forward to better times and soon.”
Apart from bagging the second place in the Best Airport category, The Tokyo Haneda Airport also was named the Best Airport: 70+ million passengers, World’s Cleanest Airport, World’s Best Domestic Airport, and World’s Best PRM/Accessible Facilities in 2020.
The 2020 Awards were due to be announced at the Passenger Terminal Expo in Paris on 1st April. However, they were cancelled due to the coronavirus pandemic. They were, subsequently, announced on 10th May through an online event that was broadcast live on YouTube.
The survey was conducted from September 2019 to February this year and travelers from more than 100 nations across the world participated in the survey.
The World’s Top 10 Airports of 2020
1. Singapore Changi Airport
2. Tokyo Haneda Airport
3. Hamad International Airport (Doha, Qatar)
4. Incheon International Airport (South Korea)
5. Munich Airport (Germany)
6. Hong Kong International Airport
7. Narita International Airport (Tokyo)
8. Chūbu Centrair International Airport (Nagoya, Japan)
9. Amsterdam Schiphol Airport
10. Kansai International Airport (Osaka, Japan)
Here are winners of other awards:
- Best Airport in Africa : Cape Town International Airport
- Best Airport in Asia : Singapore Changi Airport
- Best Airport in Australia / Pacific : Melbourne
- Best Airport in Central America : Panama Tocumen International Airport
- Best Airport in Central Europe : Munich Airport
- Best Airport in China : Shanghai Hongqiao International Airport
- Best Airport in Eastern Europe : Budapest International Airport
- Best Airport in Europe : Munich Airport
- Best Airport in India / Central Asia : Indira Gandhi International, Delhi
- Best Airport in Middle East : Hamad International Airport
- Best Airport in North America : Vancouver International Airport
- Best Airport in Northern Europe : Helsinki-Vantaa
- Best Airport in Russia & CIS : Baku Heydar Aliyev International Airport
- Best Airport in South America : Jorge Chávez International Airport, Lima
- Best Airport in Southern Europe : Adolfo Suárez Madrid-Barajas Airport
- Best Airport in Western Europe : Amsterdam Schiphol
What are the Skytrax World Airport Awards?
Launched in 1999, the World Airport Awards evaluate customer service across close to 550 airports in the world. These awards are voted for by travelers and are widely viewed as a benchmark for the world airport industry. Travelers rate their experiences at airports on a wide range of topics such as check-in, arrivals, transfers, security, and immigration.
Read the entire list of winners here.
Leave a Reply